Date and location
from July 1, 2023 until July 13, 2023
HIPEX Summer Academy 2023Callfrom July 1, 2023 until July 13, 2023
The Orpheus Instituut announces its HIPEX Summer Academy, July 3 to 8, 2023, directed by Luk Vaes (principal investigator), and with Juan Parra Cancino, Marco Fusi and Seth Josel.
Are you interested in historical experimental music and its performance practices? Are you pursuing or thinking of developing your own research in that topical direction? The HIPEX Summer Academy explores the development of historically informed performances of early electronic pieces, of music by Salvatore Sciarrino and Giacinto Scelsi, and of Helmut Lachenmann’s Salut für Caudwell and Mauricio Kagel’s Acustica. We invite you for coaching and seminars from the hybrid perspective of artistic research.
Three research-based master classes are offered, each in mandatory combination with the production of Acustica:
A. For live electronic performers and sound designers (Juan Parra Cancino)
The Performativity of the Studio considers early electronic music pieces from the 50s and 60s and examines which elements of this body of works still hold potential for performative exposure today: How can we recover, reconstruct and experimentally challenge the notion of “tape music” as a definitive, permanent object? Different experiments will focus on materials, gestures, and reconstructions, to unlock the potential that this historical repertoire holds for new performances.
- July 1 (first full day) to July 6 (final concert on that evening).
- Two to six participants will be selected.
B. For violinists/violists (Marco Fusi)
This course will focus on work for solo instrument by Salvatore Sciarrino and Giacinto Scelsi. Compositional processes and aesthetic approaches will be investigated with the aim of confronting instrumental and notational issues, and of developing participants' own performative and research strategies. Participants may focus on one or more pieces by each composer, or propose alternative subjects of research relating to Marco Fusi's research interests (see bio, below).
- July 3 (first full day) to July 8 (final concert on that evening).
- Two to six participants will be selected.
C. For guitar duos (Seth Josel)
Lachenmann's Salut für Caudwell (1977) is considered from the perspective of dr. Josel's new score published at Breitkopf & Härtel. (Duos can (be) prepare(d) from the older published version).
- July 9 (first full day) to July 13 (final concert will be on that evening).
- A maximum of three actively participating duos is admitted.
For the participants of A, B and C (Luk Vaes)
Complementary to each of the above courses, a production of Mauricio Kagel's Acustica for experimental sound producers and loudspeakers (1968-70) will be set-up from scratch and brought to the stage at the end of each course, all the while treating aspects of controlled improvisation, instrumental theatre, and technology. HIPEX provides parts, instruments, and stage accessories. No preparation necessary.
- The Acustica production will run three times, each time in parallel to activities:
- A: July 1 to 6
- B: July 3 to 8
- C: July 9 to 13.
- The production is mandatory for all participants of each of the three courses.
- Enrolment for only the Acustica course may be possible, depending on available places; please indicate so in the application form to make further arrangements.
Please fill out and submit the registration form accessible at the link below, by March 15th, 2023:
- Personal information
- Indicate which course you want to apply for. Maximum one course (plus Acustica) is permitted per applicant/duo. As the number of participants is limited per course, a selection procedure is established on the basis of the individual registration forms.
- For the Performativity of the Studio: which works not composed by you have you performed? (They don't have to be from the 1950s or 60s.) What are your (software, hardware) tools of choice? Which composer, or piece(s) would you like to work on, and why? Send one or two audio and video examples.
- For violin/viola players: a list of modern and contemporary repertoire already performed; if pieces proposed are outside of the main subject (Sciarrino / Scelsi), few lines explaining the interest of the participant in their proposed repertoire.
- For Salut für Caudwell: a link to audio or video excerpts from your performance of the piece would be highly welcome. If none is available (or, if the work is not in your repertoire), a demo of a comparatively challenging duo from the modern/contemporary repertoire would also be acceptable.
- A short text on why you wish to participate, and how you expect to benefit.
- Would you like to give a presentation on your related work? If so, please provide a brief abstract.
- A copy of your CV.
Selected participants will be notified by April 15th, 2023.
Apply now: https://airtable.com/shrHWtDGerBPn1N5u
Documentation: Each live-concert will be professionally recorded (audio/video) for the benefit of participants.
Cost: €250, to be paid upon acceptance. Daily lunches will be provided, as well as one evening dinner.
Venue: All activities will take place on the premises of the Orpheus Instituut, Korte Meer 12, 9000 Gent, Belgium.
For further info: +32 (0)9 330 40 81 or firstname.lastname@example.org